This is an NPC, or a non-player character.
Locke The Salesman
This item never drops any seeds.
This item has special properties you can adjust with the Wrench.
This item cannot be dropped or traded.
|Type||Foreground Block - Foreground|
|Collision Type||No Collision|
|Hardness|| 20 Hits|
Restores after 3s of inactivity.
|Seed Color|| |
|Grow Time||1h 0m 0s|
|Default Gems Drop||N/A|
|This item does not have any recipe because it is no longer, or was never obtainable.|
Locke The Salesman, also known as Locke or Locke The Traveling Salesman, is a non-solid NPC foreground block which was added as part of the Locke The Traveling Salesman update on March 22, 2015.
During a random day during the first and second half of a month, Locke appears in a random world for ten minutes, then leaves for another world.
When Locke arrives in a world, the message "Locke has stopped by the world <world name>! Go buy stuff from him!" will be sent to 500 random players. If that world happens to be jammed, the message "Pssst... hey guys! It's me, Locke! Since this world is jammed, my visit will just be our little secret. Come buy stuff from me, quick!" will be sent instead. Once the ten-minute visit is over, Locke will immediately disappear and appear in another world.
Locke allows players to purchase items listed below from him for locks. When the player opens Locke's menu, he will give a comment on how many locks the player currently has in their inventory.
Locke has the appearance of a shorter-than-average Growtopian wearing the following:
- Pink Fedora (hat)
- Distinguished Grey Hair (hair)
- Pencil Mustache (face)
- Pink Suitcoat (shirt)
- Fancy Pants (pants)
The Locke's Wisdom feature allows players to ask him about any existing item. Locke will provide the item's description when its name is typed in. Typing in anything inappropriate into Locke's Wisdom will cause the player to respawn and say, "Well, I never!!"
Calling the number 00000 on a Telephone will bring the player to an operator. Entering "Locke" into the field will prompt a response from the operator, asking the player to ask Locke about "Old Gertie". Typing so in Locke's Wisdom prompts a special response from Locke, "Woah, Old Gertie... that brings back memories! Hmm. What can I say... Well, there's a story about Old Gertie. The gist is that she was a blue cow, fit to burst with milk, and she flew over the moon, mooing. That'd be something to see, eh? Yeah. Old stories were pretty stupid."
This is a clue to the Discover The Truth riddle. By harvesting a Cow placed at the topmost left of the world (the cow needs to be painted blue) while a Weather Machine - Night is active, the player will receive Code Block: Charlie instead of Milk from the Cow. Any Cow that fulfills these requirements won't be counted as a provider by the game, and won't count towards any provider-related quest.
- Locke's name is an allusion to the English philosopher John Locke. The name also serves as a play on the word "lock".
- The main reason Locke was added to the game was to tackle the issue of World Lock inflation.
- On February 29, 2016, a major balance patch was implemented in the game. One of the changes was that the price of Locke's Megaphones was increased from 10 World Locks to 20 World Locks. The aim was to decrease the broadcast activity in the game.
- On March 18, 2016, ex-developer Hamumu made a forum post regarding a change to Locke's schedule. Locke now comes twice a month, once in the first half of the month, and another in the second half of the month, instead of once a month.
- When entering a world that Locke is in, a message in the chat will appear saying, "Locke is currently in this world hawking his stuff!"
- When Locke leaves the world, a message will appear, saying, "Well, I wouldn't be much of a traveling salesman if I didn't travel. I'll see you guys later!"
- Dressing up as Locke will complete the Dress up as Locke Epic Quest.
- Purchasing a Diamond Dragon from Locke will complete the Buy a Diamond Dragon from Locke Epic Quest.
- Locke doesn't let anyone purchase more than one Soul Stone per month.
- As of December 17, 2020, Megaphone's price increased to 30 World Locks from 25.
- Purchasing a Growtoken from Locke will not count towards any form of quest.
- As of Player Appreciation Week 2021 on August 28, 2021, some items previously purchasable from the Growtopia Store for gems are now sold by Locke.